Composting & Healthy Yards Services Info
The City of Saskatoon has partnered with the Saskatchewan Waste Reduction Council to provide many services to residents and community gardens related to composting and yards.
- To register for the curbside Green Cart program for food and yard waste collection, visit http://www.Saskatoon.ca/GreenCarts. Please note that food waste is now accepted.
- The City of Saskatoon offers $20 rebates to Saskatoon residents who purchase a compost bin or rain barrel from a Saskatoon retailer. Your household is eligible for one rebate per item per year. Receipt and proof of Saskatoon residency (copy of utility bill, driver’s license, or similar) must be sent in with your completed Rebate Form.
- Have a composting question? Simply dial the Compost Hotline,(306) 931-3249, or email email@example.com.
- For more composting information, download the City of Saskatoon’s Composting and Healthy Yards Services information page.
Summer Spray Pads and Outdoor Pools
Cool off this summer at any of the 16 City of Saskatoon spray pads in various locations around the city. Summer spray pads opened for the season on June 1, 2016, and will be operational daily from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Please note, spray pad sites located on or near school grounds have timers and are set to turn spray features off during recess and lunch breaks. Shut-off times will vary according to individual school schedules. All spray pads are activated by push buttons located near the spray features.
To find a spray pad location near you, please visit www.saskatoon.ca/spraypads or call 306-975-3378.
Lathey Pool and Riversdale Pool will open June 15. George Ward Pool and Mayfair Pool will open June 20.
Community Police Academy
The Saskatoon Police Service is accepting applications for the Community Police Academy scheduled for this fall. The goal of the Academy is to give the participants a better understanding of the Police Service through information and education. The people attending the Community Police Academy are members of the Saskatoon community from all walks of life.
The Community Police Academy is a 13 week course held in the fall; weekly sessions are 3 hours long. The sessions will be held in the classroom at the Saskatoon Police Service Headquarters, 76 – 25th Street East, Saskatoon. In addition there will be a ride-along option with a Patrol member and a sit-along in Detention or the Communication units. A Graduation Ceremony will be held upon completion.
The deadline to apply is August 1. To apply, go to the Police website at www.police.saskatoon.ca and click on “Programs and Services” and select “Community Police Academy.”
Community Reconciliation Activities
The City of Saskatoon, Office of the Treaty Commissioner, Saskatoon Tribal Council, Central Urban Metis Federation Inc., along with 29 supporting organizations, have launched a month-long series of events to promote Reconciliation in Saskatoon. The events are intended to engage and inspire citizens on what it means to reconcile and find their own personal call to action.
Saskatoon has committed to responding to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s (TRC) calls to action, beginning with a proclamation by City Council on June 22, 2015 declaring 2015/2016 the Year of Reconciliation.
A full list of events is attached to my email and also available at http://otc.ca/
Spring can often mean that it is graffiti season. If you see graffiti in our community, please follow these steps:
- Record It – Take a picture of the graffiti vandalism as soon as it is identified.
- Report It – Report all incidents of damage to your property by calling Saskatoon Police Service at 975-8300.
- Remove It – Remove graffiti from your property as quickly as possible. The faster and more frequently graffiti is cleaned up, the less it reappears.
What can I do if I see graffiti on someone else’s property?
To report graffiti vandalism on property other than your own call 306-975-2828.
Visit the City of Saskatoon web site for more information.
Garbage & Recycling Schedule Changes
Did you know you can sign up for e-mail, text message or phone collection reminders of the new garbage and recycling schedule online at saskatoon.ca/collectioncalendar ?
Check back for the latest local news and information provided by Evergreen’s community consultant from the City of Saskatoon.